Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Two Roads Road 2 Ruin Review



Name: Two Roads Road 2 Ruin
Style: Imperial IPA
ABV: 8%

I recently received a beer mail for a beer Secret Santa, which in this case, was someone from Connecticut. So the next few reviews, I'll be looking at some beers from various from the said state. I'm not too familiar with the craft brewing scene in Connecticut, which by that, I mean not at all.

The first beer I'm taking a look at is from a brewery called Two Roads Brewing Co. based out of Stratford, CT. This is an Imperial IPA that is aptly named Road 2 Ruin. With an ABV 8.0%, I consider it to be on the lower end of the Imperial IPA Spectrum.

Road 2 Ruin hazy orange color with some mild visible carbonation. The head takes on a thin white foamy appearance and the lacing is more on the sparse side.

In the nose, I'm getting some strong mango and tangerine sweetness, followed by some apricot and grapefruit notes with some piney hops and toffee maltiness in the back. I can tell by the nose there is already a lot going on in here

Flavor-wise it's almost the other way around. I'm getting some strong grapefruit & piney hop notes, followed by some apricot & mango sweetness before finishing with a solid caramel maltiness. The aftertaste, however, catches you off-guard with a rather strong bitter hoppiness.

To all seasoned Imperial IPA fans out there: don't let the ABV fool you, this is a very complex and robust tasting beer. Seeing as how this is my first beer from Two Roads, I would eagerly try out their other offerings should I be given the opportunity. For the time being, I am content with the fact knowing that I had an absolutely wonderful Imperial IPA.

Two Roads Road 2 Ruin - 9.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment