Sunday, March 6, 2016

Capital Grateful Red Review



Name: Capital Grateful Red
Style: India Pale Ale
ABV: 5.3%
IBUs: 65

We've come to the final beer in the Capital Brewery Pale Ale sampler pack and I've been saving this one for last by choice. I give to you Grateful Red, a red IPA that was also introduced to the Capital lineup very recently, and by that I mean it was released last year. For those of you who live under a rock, the beer obviously takes its name from the band The Grateful Dead. If you didn't know this before, all I can say to you is that I pity you.

Appearance - Mildly hazy dark amber color with a moderate amount of visible carbonation. The head is about one finger in width and lightly khaki colored. It eventually settles to a thin film look but still maintains good retention. The lacing left behind, however, is nice and sticky.

Aroma - Citrus & piney hops paired with some caramel and Munich malts. I'm also getting some light lemongrass notes in here as well.

Taste - Moderate citrus & piney hops with some caramel and Munich malts towards the middle while the back end of the flavor is more citrus hops with some light bitterness and light orange peel.

Overall, it's a decent IPA. Nothing to write home about but at the same time, I would happily drink this were I to find it somewhere on tap or in the store. It could've used a little more malt but I won't nitpick here.

Capital Grateful Red - 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment