Saturday, March 12, 2016

Sixpoint Hi-Res Review



Name: Sixpoint Hi-Res
Style: Imperial IPA
ABV: 10.5%
IBUs: 115

A couple months back, I took a look at Resin from Sixpoint Brewing. I thought it was a decent yet unremarkable Imperial IPA for reasons I couldn't quite put my finger on. The best way I described it was that it had everything there to make it work but it didn't seem to come together like it should. When it was all said & done, I had left it at that and thought nothing else.

Then the other day at the store, I noticed Hi-Res sitting on the shelves. According to what I've been able to dig up about this beer, this is a slightly imperialized version of Resin, which is their year-round Imperial IPA. So in other words, it's a............Triple IPA?

Appearance - Fairly clear orange color with a mild amount of visible carbonation. The head is pretty foamy and the lacing along with it is quite good.

Aroma - Piney & light citrus hops with some light caramel malts and some light biscuit butteriness, but not necessarily in a diacetyl sense.

Taste - Moderate bitter hops with some caramel maltiness, however the bitter hops become quite powerful towards the back and a lot more of that piney flavor being emphasized but with that caramel malt backbone fading away. The aftertaste is mostly bitter hops which lingers fora few moments.

Much like Resin, it has all the makings of a great Imperial IPA but again it doesn't come together like it should. With that said, the hop profile is a bit more pronounced here which works in its favor but I feel it is too similar to Resin, albeit a slightly improved version.

Sixpoint Hi-Res - 7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment