Saturday, August 20, 2016

Against The Grain Citra Ass Down Review



Name: Against The Grain Citra Ass Down
Style: Imperial IPA
ABV: 8.4%
IBUs: 68

I've been trying to follow through on my promise to review more Against The Grain beers, which is helped by the fact that it's no longer available exclusively in overpriced bomber bottles. What I have today is a beer that I've actually heard quite a bit about and, according to what I've been told, is their flagship beer.

I'm of course talking about Citra Ass Down, which is a citrus forward Imperial IPA, of which that you "Citra Ass Down and drink this now." The artwork looks like something I would see in a college art exhibit complete with a mish-mash of paraphernalia on the label. I'm also told this is allegedly one of the best citrus IPAs in the country but I'll reserve judgement until I've actually had it.


Appearance - Hazy dark orange color with a mild amount of visible carbonation. There's a fairly foamy head her and there's some great lacing here as well.

Aroma - Right away I'm getting some rich citrus hops paired with some moderte caramel malts and a hint bitter hops and some light toffee sweetness.

Taste - Much like the nose, I'm getting some strong citrus hoppiness upfront which continues on through the palate, with a moderate caramel maltiness in the middle but the back end is mostly citrus hops with a very light touch of bitter hops in the back. As for the aftertaste, I'm getting some light orange rind sweetness.

Well now, this is rather good. Great even! I'm not sure exactly how widely available this beer is, but if you are able get a hold of it, then I would highly recommend checking this out. As far as citrus forward IPAs go, they don't get much better than this!

Against The Grain Citra Ass Down - 9.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment