Monday, August 15, 2016

Tin Whiskers Watts Wheat Wine Review



Name: Tin Whiskers Watts Wheat Wine
Style: Wheatwine
ABV: 9.4%
IBUs: 15

I remember it like it was yesterday: it had been a couple weeks after I had moved back from Duluth that I first visited the Tin Whiskers taproom and had a chance to try out their Watts Wheat Wine. As I sipped upon it, I asked the gentleman working the taproom if they were ever going to bottle it, to which I received a shrug, for he did not know what the plans were for it.

Well, fate must've somehow heard my question because here we are a year later with a bottled version of Watts Wheat Wine. Like many of Tin Whiskers' beer names, this one has  a reference to some electrical term, which in this case is watts and if I really need to explain the definition, then I am worried for you.

Appearance - Hazy dark orange color with no carbonation. The head is rather thin but the lacing is decent lacing.

Aroma - Mild citrus hops, followed by some sweet honey and peppercorn-like spiciness that reminds me of Belgian yeasts. I'm also getting some light malted wheat and pale malts notes in here as well

Taste - It starts out with some mild citrus hops and malted wheat notes but the honey hits strong in the middle of the palate and lingers well into the aftertaste. Towards the back, I'm getting some more of that peppercorn spiciness that reminds me strongly of Belgian yeasts and cloves along with some more that light malted wheat. The aftertaste is more of that light Belgo-like yeast spiciness and that sweet honey.

There is so much going on here and each component of the flavor gives it a very well deserved complexity. In the end, it's a very nice beer that is worthy of being an Anniversary beer from the brewery. Speaking of which, this is also the best beer I've had from Tin Whiskers to date. Keep it coming, guys!

Tin Whiskers Watts Wheat Wine - 9.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment