Sunday, August 21, 2016

Millstream Great Pumpkin Imperial Stout Review


Name: Millstream Great Pumpkin Imperial Stout
Style: Imperial Stout
ABV: 7.6%
IBUs: 41

Alright, I guess I should start reviewing fall seasonals since any more summer seasonals I've been trying to locate are now AWOL. I might as well start things off with Millstream's Great Pumpkin Imperial Stout. As you may have guessed from the name, it's an Imperial Stout but made with pumpkins.

Appearance - Pitch black with no visible carbonation. The head is initially quite thin in overall appearance and fades away just after a few moments and there's not much in terms of lacing

Aroma - Chocolate malts and pumpkin that reminds me of a chocolate orange. I'm also getting some light spicy notes along with some mild coffee grounds. It kind of reminds me of halloween candy!

Taste - Strong pumpkin spice notes and coffee grounds upfront, the former of which lingers throughout the palate. In the middle, I'm getting some mild bitter hoppiness, which is overlayed by that pumpkin spice. In the back, I'm getting some light yam notes and moderate chocolate maltiness, along with hints of graham cracker. As for the aftertaste, It's mainly pumpkin spice and chocolate malts.

It's definitely a different spin on the Imperial Stout Style, and it's one that I feel you'll either love or hate. As for myself, the pumpkin spice aspect could've been toned down just a notch and give more balance to the chocolate/roasty profile of the flavor. As it stands right now, it's a solid stout that's worth checking out.

Millstream Great Pumpkin Imperial Stout - 8/10


No comments:

Post a Comment