Saturday, August 6, 2016

Schell's Firebrick Review



Name: Schell's Firebrick
Style: Vienna Lager
ABV: 5%
IBUs: N/A

I recently came into possession of a Schell's sampler pack this past weekend since it's been a while since I've gotten my hands on a sampler pack. Plus the fact I haven't reviewed many of Schell's flagship beers and just their special edition ones would be considered criminal among some. After all, they are the second oldest craft brewery in America behind Yuengling.

For the first review, I have their Firebrick, which is a Vienna Lager. From what I gathered, this is Schell's flagship beer, which I thought was Grain belt ironically enough. Plus it's also considered to be one of the top Vienna Lagers out there, which I didn't know.

Appearance - Clear dark amber color with a moderate amount of visible carbonation. The head is pretty foamy for the most part but doesn't really leave behind anything in terms of lacing.

Aroma - Munich malts and florals hops, along with some mild chocolate roastiness with just a touch of resin thrown in for good measure.

Taste - Munich and toffee malts on the front of the palate with some mild bitter and floral hops towards the middle. In the back, I am getting some of that chocolate and barley roastiness along with a light raisin sweetness.

It's nothing terribly remarkable but the easy drinkability of this combined with the good flavor helps me understand why this has been a huge hit for those who have been loyal drinkers of this for years. If you haven't already tried this out, be sure you do.

Schell's Firebrick - 8/10 

No comments:

Post a Comment