Thursday, August 11, 2016

Founders Sumatra Mountain Brown Review



Name: Founders Sumatra Mountain Brown
Style: Imperial Brown Ale
ABV: 9%
IBUs: 40

Well this is troubling. If my website is correct, it's been about a year and a half since I reviewed any beers from Founders. "Big Deal, Nick. You say that all the time" you say. That's true but they've been seemingly releasing something new every other week it seems and it's hard for someone like me to keep up; Although according to Beer Advocate, this beer has actually been around for quite some time.

In any case, today I have their Sumatra Mountain Brown, an Imperial Brown Ale made with coffee from Sumatra, Indonesia. I'm not really big into coffee, but I guess coffee from Sumatra is a big deal...I guess?

Appearance - Dark brown color with no visible carbonation. The head is pretty thin for the most part but it leaves behind a really good amount of lacing.

Aroma - Chocolate malts with some strong coffee ground notes. I'm also getting some light bitter and floral hops along with just a touch of nuttiness.

Taste - Strong coffee grounds and chocolate malts upfront, the former of which lingers throughout the palate. Towards the middle is where that nuttiness starts to take hold along with some light bitter hops. In the back, I'm getting some light floral hops and strong roasted barley, with the coffee aspect giving it an amplifying effect. The aftertaste consists mainly of moderate coffee and barley roastiness with a lingering bitter hoppiness on the very end.

It's a bit too heavy on the coffee for my liking; At least more than I'm used to, but it's got a good flavor profile and those of you who enjoy coffee beers will no doubt love this. I'll be sure to be more attentive to Founders beers in the future.

Founders Sumatra Mountain Brown - 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment