Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Uinta Hop Nosh Tangerine IPA Review



Name: Uinta Hop Nosh Tangerine IPA
Style: India Pale Ale
ABV: 7.3%
IBUs: 82

Uinta Brewing is one of those breweries that has been on my radar but haven't really bothered to check out. With that said, today's beer is one that I've gotten a couple requests for and it's actually a variation of another beer. I give to you Uinta Hop Nosh Tangerine: an off-shoot of the original Hop Nosh, which I'm told is one of the best IPAs to come out of Utah.

Having never had the original, I feel somewhat bad for reviewing this first instead of the original, but it's not like they reworked the original recipe. According to what I read, they just added tangerine to it. Also, I think this beer is either an answer to Ballast Point's Grapefruit Sculpin or New Belgium's Citradelic but let's see how this is.

Appearance - Cloudy dark orange color with a mild amount of visible carbonation. The head starts out pretty foamy but eventually simmers to a thin foamy appearance, but the lacing left behind is quite plentiful.

Aroma - Citrus hops and tangerine sweetness with some orange rings with just a touch of hop bitterness. There's also a solid but not necessarily strong caramel malt backbone at work here.

Taste - Citrus and bitter hops start things off on the palate, with some orange rind and moderate caramel malts towards the middle. In the back, I'm starting to get some of that tangerine sweetness more of that hop bitterness I saw in the front. The aftertaste, however, is mostly that tangerine tanginess with more of those bitter hops and some hints of caramel malt,

Having never had the original, I'm going out on a limb here by saying the following: this is one of the best IPAs that I've had in a long time. It's got a hefty amount of hoppiness with the tangerine and malty aspects of the flavor helping to centralize everything as a whole. My feelings of guilt by not having the original are quickly wiped away because I feel that even without the Tangerine portion of the flavor, this would still be a fantastic beer.

Uinta Hop Nosh Tangerine - 9.25/10

No comments:

Post a Comment