Friday, December 2, 2016

Mankato Mint Stout Review



Name: Mankato Mint Stout
Style: Stout
ABV: 6.9%
IBUs: 38

I recently came across an interesting winter seasonal from Mankato Brewing and that is their Mint Stout, which is brewed with Peppermint and Spearmint. To date, I've had one mint stout and that was South Shore's Bourbon Barrel Coffee Mint Stout. At the time, I thought it was an interesting concept but it wasn't pulled off as well as it could've been. Nevertheless, I promised myself I would try out that style again if I ever saw it and now here we are.

Appearance -  Pitch black with a foamy but fizzy brown head that fades away after a few moments, save for a light ring around the glass. There's also no lacing left behind either.

Aroma - Strong peppermint and moderate spearmint notes upfront, followed by some roasted barley and chocolate malts. I'm also getting a light hint of smoke and mild hoppiness.

Taste - Peppermint and spearmint dominate the front of the palate, with the latter being the strongest. Towards the middle I'm getting that roasted barley and chocolate maltiness, both of which linger in the back of the palate, along with that light smokiness and hop notes. The aftertaste is mostly chocolate and roasted barley with just a hint of peppermint.

I have to say, I am quite pleased with this and the peppermint and spearmint elements really help this stout stand out without being too overwhelming. As such, I think this is much better executed than South Shore's offering was. If you're looking for a different take on a stout that's executed properly, look no further than Mankato's Mint Stout.

Mankato Mint Stout - 8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment