Saturday, December 17, 2016

Steel Toe Wee Heavy Review



Name: Steel Toe Wee Heavy
Style: Scotch Ale/Wee Heavy
ABV: 10.9%
IBUs: N/A

I've spent about 3 years trying to obtain this but to no avail. Whether it be my geographical location or simply due bad timing, I have never been able to get a hold of Steel Toe's Wee Heavy. That changed earlier today when I spotted it on the shelf and, to me, it was spotting a Sasquatch. In any case, I'm very excited to try this out and see what the fuss is all about.

Appearance - Cloudy dark brown that borderlines on black except along the edges of the glass. The head is starts out thin and tan but settles into a ring along the rim and there's no lacing to speak of.

Aroma - Peated malts and chocolate with some mild floral hops. I'm also getting some smoke along with some roasted barley.

Taste - Strong peated malts upfront with some chocolate sweetness and more peat in the middle, while the back end of the palate opens to some mild boozy and roasty flavors.

Nice, peaty and smokey; All the components are here and they come together wonderfully, if it is a little too boozy for my liking. Nevertheless, this is definitely one of the best Scotch Ales I've had in a long while and it proves to be another hit from Steel Toe. If you see this, check it out!

Steel Toe Wee Heavy - 9/10 

No comments:

Post a Comment