Sunday, December 4, 2016

Sam Adams Chocolate Bock Review



Name: Sam Adams Chocolate Bock
Style: Bock
ABV: 5.8%
IBUs: 11

This past Thanksgiving, I bought a Sam Adams sampler pack for our holdiay guests as it's always been a crowd pleaser in years past and I decided to snag a couple of the more interesting beers for reviewing purposes. The beer we've got is their Chocolate Bock, which is a Bock made with milk chocolate. I've had a few bocks before but never one like this before so let's check it out.

Appearance - Very dark brown color with a mild amount of carbonation along the sides of the glass. The head starts out with a good amount of foam but settles to a thin filmy appearance but the lacing is quite plentiful.

Aroma - Rich milk chocolate & lactose-like notes paired with some caramel malts and light roastiness. I feel like I'm smelling a chocolate bar.

Taste - Rich milk chocolate and lactose notes dominate the front of the palate and continue lingering to the very end. Towards the middle, I'm getting some moderate caramel maltiness while the back has just a touch of roastiness. As for the aftertaste, it's more of the milk chocolate flavor with just a light hint of toffee.

I've had many beers from Sam Adams in the past but this is definitely one of the more interesting beers I've had from them. At the same time, this has also one of my personal favorites from them and it's a damned shame that this is only available in a sampler pack and not in six-packs. Think Odell's Lugene but lighter and a bit more lactose forward. As such, it's definitely one of the best Bocks I've had in recent memory and this is absolutely worth checking out.

Sam Adams Chocolate Bock - 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment