Monday, December 26, 2016

Toppling Goliath King Sue Review



Name: Toppling Goliath King Sue
Style: Imperial IPA
ABV: 8%
IBUs: 100+ (Per Toppling Goliath website)

I hope you all had an awesome holidays, because I most certainly did! In any case, I have a late Christmas gift for everyone and that is Toppling Goliath's King Sue. Originally released last monday, it disappeared off of store shelves almost as quickly as they appeared. In fact, I gave up hope of finding it for quite a while.

That was until the store by my place of employment informed me that they'd be getting a limited shipment and put me on the waiting for it. After I got off work a few days ago, I managed to secure a bottle and now here we are.

What's there to say about this beer? Well, from what I've gathered, it's considered one of the most highly sought after Imperial IPAs on the market and that it's supposedly "PseudoSue on steroids." Well, I'll be the judge of that either way.

Appearance - Hazy dark orange color with a light amount of visible carbonation, The head is quite foamy and there's a good amount lacing left behind along the sides of the glass.

Aroma - Rich citrus hop and grapefruit notes that remind me of mosaic hops. I'm also getting some light caramel and toffee malts in here as well.

Taste - Strong citrus hop and mango notes upfront with a solid toffee malt backbone in the middle with a bitter sweet resin/bitter finish.

So is this beer essentially PseudoSue on Steroids? In my humble opinion, it shares way more in common with PseudoSue than it doesn't; So to put it bluntly, it is, especially when you consider the flavor profile. In fact, my only gripe is that for the price I paid for a bomber of this, I could've gotten a 4-pack of PseudoSue instead and still would've gotten the same great flavor.

With that said, it's still a great beer and the bright flavor profile will certainly please any seasoned Imperial IPA fan. Despite what I said in the last paragraph, this is still worth checking out should you get the chance but if both King Sue & PseudoSue are available, go with the latter.

Toppling Goliath King Sue - 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment