Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Off Color Growl Review



Name: Off Color Growl
Style: Quadrupel
ABV: 9.5%
IBUs: 28

Been a while since I looked at Off Color Brewing, but I stumbled across this last week and I figured that I should give this a review because my beer library is seriously lacking in the Quadrupel department.

Which brings us Growl, Off Color's Quad Ale. I'm not sure what inspired them to give it this name, but I do see mice in monk robes surrounded by a pile of bones on the label (Never thought I'd be saying that sentence ever!) In any case, let's check this out.

Appearance - Cloudy dark brown color with no visible carbonation. The head is quite thin and dissipates after a few moments and there's no lacing left behind

Aroma - Strong candied caramel malts with some Belgian yeasts and light cloves. I'm also getting a hint of toffee here as well.

Taste - Much like the nose, you've got strong caramelized malts and potent Belgian yeasts. On the back end of the palate, I'm still getting that maltiness but I'm also picking up on a light spicy zing and dark plum-like notes, the latter of which makes up the aftertaste, along with some light floral hops.

What can I say? This is an awesome beer and one that provides a good amount of variety to back it up in the flavor department. Once again, Off Color manages to impress me, which means I should really seek out more of their beers in the future. For the time being, this'll do just fine.

Off Color Growl - 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment