Monday, December 12, 2016

Modist Smoove Review



Name: Modist Smoove
Style: Amber Lager
ABV: 5.5%
IBUs: 26

A recent trend I've noticed in breweries as of late has been the rise of Crowlers, a giant can of beer from a taproom that is filled in front of you to take home for personal consumption. I've had a couple crowlers before but I thought they were nothing more than taproom-exclusive offerings, when you consider Minnesota's liquor laws.

However, imagine my shock when I was visiting Zipp's in South Minneapolis when I came across some of Modist's crowlers in the beer cooler. Well, if it's a way for smaller breweries to get their product to a wider audience I'm all for it. So today we have Modist's Smoove, a salted caramel lager which I briefly looked at when I did my write up on Modist a couple months back. With that said, it's time to give this beer a proper review

Appearnace - Fairly clear dark orange/brown color with a mild amount of visible carbonation. The head takes on a reasonably foamy off white appearance with a good amount of lacing left behind.

Aroma - Caramel malts and salt mixed in with some potent lager yeasts and light hints of chocolate.

Taste - Lager yeasts and caramel & toffee malts upfront, the latter of which linger throughout the palate. In the back I'm getting some mild chocolate roastiness and that saltiness & light floral hops which show up on the very back of the palate.

It's got a good flavor profile and, true to it's namesake, is quite smooth; Plus it puts a nice twist on the amber lager style. While I think this would be better off as an ale, revisiting Smoove for a second time will definitely make me come back for more in the future should this continue to be a regular offering of theirs. If anyone in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area should happen to come across this, be sure to check it out!

Modist Smoove - 8.5/10


No comments:

Post a Comment