Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Cucapá Green Card Barleywine Review


A couple of weeks ago as I was grabbing some Miller Lite for a bonfire, I walked by the clearance section which contained primarily wine, a couple of spirits and a mix of winter seasonal & offbeat beers. As my eyes scanned the table, I noticed a few rows of bombers of beer from Cucapá Brewery in Mexico and the one that caught my eye was Green Card Barleywine for only $4.99. Since it was sitting next to the discounted Winter Warlock Barleywine, I deduced that it must've been around for a while and thus allowed to age, so I grabbed a bomber along with the Miller and headed on my merry way.

After sitting on it for a couple of weeks, I finally decided to try out my first ever Mexican Barleywine. I'll admit I was a bit excited and interested to see how a brewery from a country known primarily for Corona would handle this.

To start out, it pours an almost pitch black color that turns dark red when held up to a light. Head is rather soapy and only retains for about a minute before fading away.

The nose is very strong caramelized malts but the hop profile is extremely mild; The maltiness almost smells and feels artificial. There's also some plum and fruity notes in the aroma as well.

The flavor is very much like the nose, with strong caramelized malts, mild hops, fruity notes and mild spices. There is a very strong boozy presence in the flavor and the maltiness tastes artificial, almost like someone poured syrupy Malta Goya into the beer.

The body is fairly light and the carbonation is moderate, so in terms of drinkability, this one is pretty easy to drink; which is probably the only redeeming quality that this has to offer

Barleywines are one of my favorite styles of beer so what I'm about say are words that I never thought I would say: I hated this Barleywine. Up until having this, the "worst" barleywine I had ever had was New Glarus Thumbprint Barleywine, but it was at least decent and tolerable. This tastes like they took Malta Goya & a High Gravity Malt Liquor and mixed them together. Don't be tempted by the low price, avoid this at all costs

Cucapá Green Card Barleywine - 2/10

1 comment:

  1. I found decent information in your article. I am impressed with how nicely you described this subject, It is a gainful article for us. Thanks for share it.cancellation of removal san antonio.

    ReplyDelete