Sunday, July 21, 2013

New Glarus Cabin Fever Bock Review


If there is one perk that I love about living in Duluth it is that I no longer have to travel 45 minutes to grab some New Glarus. That is because Superior, WI is right across the bay from Duluth and if I ever have a hankering for some Spotted Cow or need to make a Sunday beer run, all I have to do is hop in my car and make the 10 minute drive over to the Badger State. They also have a surprisingly good selection and with Dogfish Head making it's return to Wisconsin, things are looking even better!

While over in Superior, I put together a mix-a-six of New Glarus and will be focusing on reviewing my selection in upcoming reviews. The first beer I will be looking at is their Cabin Fever Bock, which is a Maibock style beer with an ABV of 6%.

Cabin Fever pours a mildly hazy golden color with a thin white head. There's a bit of carbonation along the sides of the glass and it finishes rather clean, only leaving behind a small amount of lacing.

The nose has a fairly strong honey scent upfront which are followed by yeasts, pale malts, caramel, and a mild floral hop notes. Reminds me a bit of Summit Maibock, but Summit is more caramel focused.

The flavor has a fairly strong honey & caramel sweetness right off the bat which is backed by a solid malty backbone, yeasts and floral hops. Pretty much the same as the nose....I like it!

The overall body is quite light and while the carbonation is a bit fizzy, it makes for a crisp and refreshing beer.

This is a very well rounded beer: It smells good, tastes great, and it feels very crisp and refreshing. As a Maibock fan, I thoroughly enjoyed this and this ranks up there with one of the best Maibocks I've had yet!

New Glarus Cabin Fever Bock - 9/10


No comments:

Post a Comment