Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Lake Superior Deep Water Black IPA Review


In honor of my new home, I figured it would only be appropriate by kicking things off with a beer made here in Duluth. Lake Superior Brewing was one of the first craft breweries I tried out when I first got into craft beer back in college; If my memory serves me correctly, the first beer I had was their Mesabi Red which I picked up from Haskell's.

Lake Superior Brewing just released their newest beer called Deep Water Black IPA. And like many of Lake Superior's beers I've looked at, they are mum when it comes to giving us an ABV.

Deep Water pours an almost-black color that turns a clear dark brown when held up to the light. The head is rather thin and khaki colored that fades away fairly quickly.

The nose has a fairly strong citrus hops scent upfront followed by chocolate, roasted malts & barley notes. The flavor on the other hand has a strong piney/citrus hop profile which is backed by equally strong roasted malts, coffee, and caramel.

The body is fairly light and the carbonation has a slight bite to it so it helps add a bit of flavor to what some may already consider to be a unique flavor.

I consider this one to be very good. It's not a style that's for everyone but those who know and love the style will find something to like about this one.

Lake Superior Deep Water Black IPA - 8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment