Saturday, April 4, 2015

Brau Brothers Sheep Head Ale Review



Name: Brau Brothers Sheep Head Ale
Style: India Pale Ale
ABV: 7.7%

It's been about 10 months since I've really taken a look at anything from Brau Brothers, which is funny considering that it was one of the first breweries I got into when I began to get into craft beer seriously. I really need to stay on top of things.

Today I have their Sheephead, which is their regular year-round IPA. Doing a bit of research, I found out the name comes from a card game that originally comes from 18th century Europe, which explains the random mish-mash of cards and sheep on the beer label.

Appearance - Very hazy and very dark orange color with no visible carbonation. The head is thin and khaki-colored but it retains pretty well, along with the carbonation, which is also plentiful.

Aroma - Moderate piney hops mixed in with a substantial caramel malt backbone. I'm getting some woodsy-like mustiness paired with some grapefruit-like bitterness in here too. I'm also picking up on some light roastiness as well.

Flavor - Pretty caramel malt forward on the front of the palate along with some woodsy must and grapefruit sweetness in the middle. On the back end of the palate is where the bitter hoppiness starts to shine through along with some light roasty & wooden oak notes.

I have to say this is quite good! It's got a nice balance of malt character and bitter hoppiness, plus the woodsy aspect of the flavor adds a very nice spin to things. Overall, if you're looking for an IPA with a slightly different flavor, then I'd say this is worth taking a spin.

Brau Brothers Sheep Head Ale - 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment