Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Busch Light Review



Name: Busch Light
Brewed by: Anheuser-Busch 
Style: Light Lager
ABV: 4.1%

I've mentioned before that my review of Busch Signature Copper Lager is, and remains to this day, my most viewed post of all time. So the other day I asked myself the following question: What does Busch Light taste like? Well....it didn't quite go down like that, in all honesty. What really happened is that I was at the store and noticed that this was on sale, so I figured why not try it out. After all, what's the worse that could happen?

So we're looking at Busch Light, and one could argue that it's the parent of Busch Signature Copper Lager. Neverminding the fact that sales for Busch Light have been on the decline over the past couple of years and that it takes its name from its parent company Anheuser-Busch, there really isn't a whole lot to say about this beer

Appearance - A very pale yellow color with a moderate amount of visible carbonation. The head is quite thin & soapy that sounds like a bowl of Rice Krispies and there isn't any lacing to speak of.

Aroma - Pale malts, adjunct grains, light booziness and maybe just a light touch of floral hoppiness. It smells just like I'd expect an adjunct lager to smell like, for lack of a better term. Of course, there is that skunky smell that starts to gain momentum as it warms up

Taste - Pale malt sweetness on the front of the palate with cereal & adjunct grains in the back. I wish I could say there is more flavor (or do I?) but that's pretty much all there is. It is, after all, a light beer.

Hoo boy, this is quite awful! It's devoid of pretty much any good flavors yet it takes on this offensive skunky smell when it warms up. The only thing that "saves" this beer is that the skunky smell doesn't transfer over to the taste, but even that is not enough to save this beer from its blandness. My advice would be to spend an extra dollar on a bomber of Sierra Nevada or New Belgium, you'll get much more of your money's worth that way.

Busch Light - 2/10

2 comments: