Monday, April 13, 2015

Toppling Goliath Pompeii Review



Name: Toppling Goliath Pompeii
Style: India Pale Ale
ABV: 5.5%

I am on a roll recently with all of these Toppling Goliath beers since the brewery first became available in my area. Today I have their Pompeii IPA, which was until recently a draft only release. I believe they only started bottling this only a couple of months ago.

Come to think of it, with the exception of one beer, every beer I've reviewed from Toppling Goliath has been a Pale Ale in some form or another.

Appearance - Hazy orange color with a mild amount of visible carbonation. The head is rather thin but foamy at the same time. As for the lacing, it's very sparse.

Aroma - Rich citrus hop & grapefruit notes with just a touch of piney hops. I'm also getting some mango sweetness and some caramel & toffee maltiness in here as well. Needless to say, it smells very good!

Taste - It starts out with robust and vibrant citrus hop & tropical fruitiness that lingers throughout the flavor. In the second half of the flavor is where the caramel maltiness really starts to shine through along with just a touch of mangoes. The aftertaste is made of of tropical fruitiness and a light bitter hoppiness

Of all the beers I've had from Toppling Goliath, this is my favorite I've had from them hands down. On top of that, this is a beer that showcases the Mosaic hop really well and does it in an extraordinary way! It goes without saying that this should be on your radar if you happen to be in the upper Midwest.

Toppling Goliath Pompeii - 9.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment