Thursday, April 2, 2015

Milwaukee Brewing Doppelvision Review



Name: Milwaukee Brewing Doppelvision
Style: Doppelbock
ABV: 8%

A couple months back, I reviewed Louie's Resurrection, a barrel-aged Imperial Amber Ale from Milwaukee Brewing Company. I found the beer to be quite excellent and I consider it to be one of the best & most explementary bourbon barrel-aged beers I've had thus far. So imagine my excitement when I discovered Doppelvision, Milwaukee Brewing's bourbon barrel-aged Doppelbock.

I want to say name itself comes from the Foreigner song "Double Vision" or from Diplopia, which is the medical term for Double Vision. Speculation on my part, my one can do so, am I right?

Appearance - A brown color that takes on a dark crimson look when held up to a light, while still maintaining a good amount of haze. The head is thin and khaki-colored in appearance but the lacing is quite plentiful.

Aroma - Strong caramel malts with banana notes at the start of the nose. I'm starting to pick up on some oakiness, a hint of vanilla, subtle toffee sweetness and a bit of mild hoppiness

Taste - Caramel malts and oakiness on the front of the palate, followed by some vanilla and toffee sweetness. There's also a fairly moderate roasted barley profile which lingers on throughout the palate. The aftertaste consists of caramel malts, light oak, and mild bitter hoppiness.

I'll admit that my expectations were on the higher side for this, having never had a barrel-aged doppelbock before. Maybe it's just me but while I no-doubt got a great doppelbock, the bourbon-barrel aspect of this beer feels rather underwhelming, especially compared to Louie's Resurrection. I can't help but feel that this could've been amazing. Still, this is an excellent doppelbock and most certainly worth checking out if you get the chance!

Milwaukee Brewing Doppelvision - 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment