Thursday, April 23, 2015

Brewery Ommegang Three Eyed Raven Review




Name: Brewery Ommegang Three-Eyed Raven
Style: Saison
ABV: 7.2%

Two years ago when I first started this blog, the very first beer I reviewed was the Iron Throne Blonde Ale from Brewery Ommegang. Since that review, they have gone on to make four additional beers in the Game of Thrones Series with this being the 5th one. I give to you the Three-Eyed Raven, which is described by Ommegang as a Dark Saison.

I would explain the meaning behind the name but.......well let's just say I would spend more time trying to explain the name rather than the actual beer itself. My advice in this case would be to watch the show. Speaking of which.....

In my very first review, I made the statement that one day I would get myself into the show. Well, that happened and now I'm hooked on the show. So when I saw this on the shelves last week, I just had to try this out.

Appearance - Black with a slight brown tinge on the bottom of the glass with no visible carbonation to speak of. The signature foamy head that I've come to expect from Ommegang, which takes on a khaki-color, is here and with it is some very abundant lacing.

Aroma - Some potent Belgian yeasts & clove spiciness on the front of the nose paired with some roasted barley and chocolate notes. I'm also picking up on some moderate floral hoppiness and a light plum-like scent.

Taste - Belgian Yeasts and cloves are the strong aspects of the flavor here, but the roasted barley & chocolate malts play a big role in balancing out the overall flavor with the moderate floral hoppiness rounding things out at the back of the palate. The Belgian yeasts in particular also linger throughout the flavor and provide some much needed support overall.

I'm a bit saddened to see that this is only a one-time offering from Ommegang because I found this to be a very robust and flavorful beer. Plus it isn't too often that you see a dark saison save for an offering from a couple of major breweries, let alone one that is as well balanced as this one. In the meantime, one can only hope that this will be rebranded in the near future as a regular offering.

Brewery Ommegang Three-Eyed Raven - 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment