Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Clown Shoes Chocolate Sombrero Review



Name: Clown Shoes Chocolate Sombrero 
Style: Imperial Stout
ABV: 9%

Today I've got a beer from Clown Shoes Brewing with the unusual name of Chocolate Sombrero, which is described as a Mexican-Style Chocolate Stout. This a beer that is brewed with chocolate (duh!), ancho chilis, cinnamon, and vanilla. I've been a bit hesitant to try this out because my history with chili beers hasn't exactly been the best but I'm approaching this one with an open mind because it's from Clown Shoes and I've heard some very good things about this beer.

I also want to add that of all the breweries out there, this brewery makes my favorite label artwork, most of which I consider to be funny and/or creative. Each of these labels also incorporate a pair of clown shoes in the said artwork. With that said, I love the illustration of a four-armed luchador running from 2 chili peppers with mustaches brandishing guns.

Appearance - Pitch black color with a mild amount of carbonation climbing up the sides of the glass. The head takes on a nice & foamy khaki-colored look with some very abundant carbonation.

Aroma - Chocolate malts and cinnamon dominate the front of the nose. I'm also picking up on some light spicy notes paired with some vanilla sweetness and there's even a decent amount of hops in the nose as well.

Taste - Strong Chocolate malts & moderate cinnamon notes are at the center stage of the flavor, much like in the nose. However the roasted barley and vanilla sweetness are also in here too towards the back and the same goes for the mild hoppiness. As for the chilis, they're there but they're quite mild and are most noticeable in the back of the palate where I am picking up on some light heat. Aside from that, this is a very chocolate-y tasting beer.

If there's one complaint I have, it's that I didn't try this out sooner because I think this is an excellent beer. The chili aspect in particular is not only very well controlled but it works in synchronicity with the other flavors at work here. If you've had bad experiences with chili beers before, this is a beer that will no doubt change your mind about them. As for the rest of us, it's an excellent beer that is worth checking out.

Clown Shoes Chocolate Sombrero - 9.25/10

1 comment: