Thursday, May 7, 2015

Sam Adams Rebel Rider Review



Name: Sam Adams Rebel Rider
Style: India Pale Ale
ABV: 4.5%

Well the Sam Adams IPA trifecta has come full circle. First it was Rebel IPA, then there was Rebel Rouser Double IPA and now we finally have Rebel Rider IPA, which is their new year-round session IPA. Though I noticed on the Sam Adams website under the "Rebel Family" section that there is one more space on the right hand side, so perhaps there will be another Rebel IPA in the near future?

I've also noticed that I have been on a session beer binge as of late, so this'll probably be my last one for a while. Then again too, I say that to myself about a lot of beer styles.

Appearance - A mildly hazy yellow color with some equally mild carbonation. The head is white and takes on a rather soapy appearance. The lacing itself is also quite soapy as well but still has some very good retention.

Aroma - Upfront I'm getting some moderate citrus and light floral hoppiness along with some pale malts and something that almost resembles flaked corn notes. If you didn't tell me, I'd say this almost smells like a India Pale Lager (IPL).

Taste - Bitter hoppiness and light citrus notes upfront followed up by some pale maltiness. The aftertaste is mainly bitter hops and pale malts, the former of which lingers around afterward. The flavor is quite simple really.

I feel that Rebel Rider reminds me more of an IPL than an actual IPA, which isn't necessarily a bad thing in this case. The flavor is pretty good for what it is and I would consider the be a fine example as to how to do a session IPA/IPL the right way. While I can't see myself buying this to have at home, if I'm going to a picnic and need a good beer you can drink throughout the day without making a fool of myself, then I would definitely recommend this.

Sam Adams Rebel Rider - 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment