Sunday, May 31, 2015

Real Ale Real Heavy Review



Name: Real Ale Real Heavy
Style: Scotch Ale/Wee Heavy
ABV: 9.3%
IBUs: 27

Real Ale Real Heavy, I cannot think of an easier-to-remember name than this, though I'm inclined to say Real Ale Really Heavy for some odd reason; You know how that pesky English language can be. In any case, it's also their Wee Heavy offering and it is also the third-to-last beer I have in the Texas craft beer package which I got a couple weeks ago.

Appearance - A dark ruby red that is fairly clear in appearance with no visible carbonation to speak of. The head is quite thin and there is no lacing to speak of.

Aroma - Strong toffee malts and vanilla notes followed by a fairly strong caramel sweetness and a light smokiness. The toffee aroma is amongst the strongest I've ever gotten out of a Scotch Ale as it is front and center; Not to mention I think it's quite easy to pick out and it only intensifies after it warms up

Taste - It's quite similar to the nose. Strong toffee & caramel malt and vanilla sweetness upfront, followed by some light smokiness, marshmallows and is rounded off by some more toffee maltiness. The aftertaste consists of some light roastiness and caramel malt sweetness.

Between to vibrant & robust flavor and the wonderful aroma, I have to say this is quite delicious! From what I gathered this is just a seasonal release so if you have the opportunity to try this out, I would highly recommend doing so.

Real Ale Real Heavy - 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment