Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Clown Shoes The Peace That Money Can't Buy Review



Name: Clown Shoes The Peace That Money Can't Buy
Style: Quadrupel
ABV: 11.5%
IBUs: N/A

In all the time I've had this blog, I have never once reviewed a Quad ale or rather.....never have had the chance to sit down and actually take a closer look at one. With that said, my favorite Quad I've had so far since I started drinking beer was the Barrel Aged Quad Ale from Brau Brothers....but that hasn't been made in about 3 years so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they'll one day bring it back.

Until then, I've got the next best thing: The Peace That Money Can't Buy from Clown Shoes Brewing, which too is a Barrel Aged Quad Ale. I'm not going to bother looking more in-depth into this, but I'm fairly certain that this beer has the one of the longest titles for all the reviews I've done so far, tying with that of Schell's Stag Series Cave-Aged, Barrel-Aged Lager.

Appearance - Fairly cloudy dark brown color with a little mild carbonation along the sides of the glass. The head is pretty thin for the most part while retaining a thin khaki colored appearance. Really isn't too much in terms of lacing though, with just a light rim of it up top.

Aroma - Right I'm getting strong candied caramel malts, some vanilla sweetness & notes. I'm also getting some Belgian Yeasts as well and some toffee sweetness. Needless to say, it's a very malty smelling beer but considering that it's a Quad, I'm not too surprised.

Taste - Strong plum and juicy pear sweetness on the front of the palate, followed by some strong oak and vanilla notes. I'm getting a slight peated scotch taste that comes off as slightly smokey and the candied caramel malt backbone are also quite vibrant here as well. I can't believe I'm saying this but I'm getting what seems like Granny Smith apples and some light citrus hop notes, that latter of which shows up primarily in the back of the flavor. There's a lot going on here in the flavor!

If you like your beers nice and complex, then I see no reason why you wouldn't be able to enjoy this beer. It could've used a little more hops, but it's a minor complaint to what is an otherwise fantastic beer!

Clown Shoes The Peace That Money Can't Buy - 9.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment