Saturday, June 13, 2015

Great Lakes Alberta Clipper Review



Name: Great Lakes Alberta Clipper
Style: Porter
ABV: 7.8%
IBUs: 40

Before I get started with this review, I wanted to address two things regarding my last post that I've gotten a couple of emails about and I figured now would be a good time to end the confusion right now:

  1. No, I am not ending my blog. In fact, I'm quite excited to continue writing once I move.
  2. I will be doing a couple more Duluth/Superior Beer Roundup posts before I move back to Minneapolis


Since we got that out of the way, let's get to the review!

Despite me not reviewing the majority of Great Lakes Brewing's beers, I am quite familiar with the line-up as a whole. With that said, I have never seen this beer until maybe a couple of months ago and that beer is the Alberta Clipper Porter. It's a porter that is brewed with chocolate and raspberries.

Knowing that it's named after a weather phenomenon that brings cold temperatures and high winds to the Great Lakes area, I assumed this to be a winter seasonal. That is until I did my research and found out that this is actually released on a rotating basis.

Appearance - Pitch black with a khaki colored head. Not really too much in terms of visible carbonation and the lacing is more on the sparse-side

Aroma - Strong Chocolate sweetness and mild floral hops in front. Followed by some raspberry fruitness and light roastiness. It smells good but I was expecting a bit more roastiness, this IS a porter after all.

Taste - Strong raspberries and chocolate malts upfront with some potent roastiness to back it up. The back end of the flavor consists of mild bitter hoppiness with some more roastiness that is fairly mild when compared to the front of the palate.

As cliché as it sounds, it's like drinking a chocolate-covered raspberry in beer form. It's got a fairly simple flavor otherwise, but it all comes together so nicely and in a vibrant way. Though it would work better as a winter seasonal, I'll have this regardless of the time of year.

Great Lakes Alberta Clipper - 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment