Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Martin House The Imperial Texan Review



Name: Martin House The Imperial Texan
Style: Imperial IPA/Imperial Red Ale
ABV: 9%
IBUs: 100

I've made it to the last beer of my first (and hopefully not last) Texas craft beer care package. I've been saving this one for last as I think it'll help end this series on a fitting note. Today I've got The Imperial Texan from Martin House Brewing Company based out of Fort Worth, Texas.

Before we get to the beer, lets look at the label itself....



It's a beer label that screams "Texas." You've got guns & cowboys in 10 gallon hats with one of them taking a bullet to the chest. It even says Made in Texas by Texans. If this label had no text on it and you asked me where this label was from, I would say it was from Texas. You'll also notice too that the beer is called a Double Red Ale. On Beer Advocate & the brewery's website, it's also listed as a Double Red Ale. While the can I have calls it a Double Red Double IPA. Let's see how the flavor is first before we make a judgement.

Appearance - Moderately Hazy dark red, no carbonation. The head is nice and foamy and has a light tan color to it, though I'm not getting much in terms of lacing

Aroma - Strong piney hops dominate the front of the nose. Behind that is some toffee & caramel maltiness, some potent grapefruit-apricot notes and maybe just a hint of toastiness.

Taste - Piney hops are very pronounced and linger throughout, and is supplemented by the toffee & caramel malt backbone which is also very strong here. The fruitness is more grapefruit focused than in the nose. The aftertaste is piney hop bitterness and light grapefruit notes. I don't bring this up too often anymore but it's worth noting the mouthfeel is very smooth.

Despite what Beer Advocate say, I'm inclined to say that an Imperial Red Ale would be Fulton The Libertine. This, on the other hand, is an Imperial Red IPA, you would have to be a fool not to think it isn't, especially when you factor in the flavor. Whatever style this may be, I still enjoyed this a lot and would happily have this again should I be given the opportunity.

A big shout out to Ken for hooking me up with these awesome beers! Hopefully I will get to try out more beers from the Lone Star State in the future.

Martin House The Imperial Texan - 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment