Friday, June 5, 2015

Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree Review



Name: Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree
Style: Imperial IPA
ABV: 12%
IBUs: 55

I feel a bit ashamed of myself for reviewing this right now, because I have never tried the original of this beer prior to what I'm having today, which is Dark Horse's Double Crooked Tree. A few days ago when I was putting together a mix-a-six, the beer which we have today was present but the original Crooked Tree was not. Once I locate the original, I promise that I will do a review on it.

Now moving on....when they named this beer Double Crooked Tree, they were not joking when they called it Double because this has almost double the ABV of the original Crooked Tree, which has just an ABV of 6.5%, though the IBUs were only 47 in the original.

Appearance - Very hazy dark orange color with what looks like a very faint amount of carbonation; It's hard to tell with all the haziness in place. The head is approximately one finger in width and it takes on a light tan-khaki color. The lacing is also pretty good.

Aroma - My first impression is very sweet. You've got some very pungent grapefruit notes backed up by a ton of caramelized malts and a lot of toffee sweetness. I'm also getting some mild cotton candy notes, as in the kind you would buy at the county fair; That is something I wasn't expecting.

Taste - Much like the nose, it's very malty. You have the caramel and toffee maltiness vying for control on the front of the palate, with some fairly aggressive grapefruit & piney hop notes but they are still second-in-command to the sheer maltiness of this beer. That cotton candy aroma I mentioned earlier is also present as well and it lingers throughout the flavor. Thankfully the booziness I was anticipating is nowhere to be found as it is very well hidden here.

Once Imperial IPAs venture beyond the 10% ABV line, the quality is usually hit or miss and thankfully this one is a hit. Sure it's more malty than it is hoppy but I'm not ashamed to admit that I enjoyed this. In fact, I'd even go as far to say that if you're looking for a good gateway Imperial IPA, this will do quite nicely; Just be sure you have a couple of friends with you because looks are definitely deceiving here.

Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree - 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment