Saturday, December 5, 2015

Avery Old Jubilation Ale Review



Name: Avery Old Jubilation Ale
Style: Old Ale
ABV: 8.3%
IBUs: 45

Here comes another Christmas beer courtesy of the Avery Brewing Company. For this review I'll be taking a look at their old jubilation ale. It's an Old Ale with an ABV of 8.3%. It is been quite a while since I've taken a look at anything from Avery and since I've never had any of their winter seasons before, I'm curious to see how this is.

Appearance - Very dark brown color that almost looks black in appearance until you hold it up to a light, in which you can see some brown tinge around the edges of the glass. The head itself is quite thin but with a fair amount of foam.

Aroma - Dark fruit and plum notes, with a mild amount of smoke, and some decent carmelized malts. I'm also getting some very light citrus and floral hoppiness.

Taste - Dark fruit notes and caramelized malts, followed by some smokiness in the middle, before finishing up with a chocolate and roasty finish with some light bitter happiness.

I can't say that this is my favorite winter beer by far but the flavor works and it doesn't have any issues  otherwise. I'd say if you're looking for a good winter beer and you have a couple extra bucks to spend, then this wouldn't be a bad choice. Otherwise, you're better off sticking with another winter beer that's a little cheaper.

Avery Old Jubilation Ale - 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment