Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Insight Hell Chicken Review



Name: Insight Hell Chicken (AKA In The Garden of the Hell Chicken)
Style: American Pale Ale
ABV: 5.5%
IBUs: N/A

I have another can from Insight Brewing and it's their Hell Chicken Pale Ale which is made with Yuzu Fruit. I was going to review the Troll Way IPA but before I cracked it open, I found out that there was a recall due to the quality issues with the beer. So because of that I will have to get my hands on a can from the newer batch.

While putting this post together, I found out I made a boo-boo with my review of Sunken City, as it's true name is "In The Halls of the Sunken City." Each beer has a name that correlates with a chapter in a book and each chapter has a name of several characters. The same applies to this beer as well. Let's be realistic here, if people are using Google to find out about this beer, chances are they're not going to be typing "Insight Brewing In The Garden of the Hell Chicken." They're probably going to type "Insight Hell Chicken" to avoid redundancy.

Appearance - Mildly hazy dark yellow color with some equally mild carbonation. The head is about one finger in width with some soapy and sparse lacing.

Aroma - Sweet pear and (what I assume is) yuzu sweetness. I'm also picking up on some toffee maltiness in here as well. I really can't get anything else because of the sheer fruity sweetness.

Taste - Bitter floral hoppiness with a sweet yuzu kick. I'm also getting some toffee maltiness and light graininess. Aftertaste is mainly bitter floral hops and yeasts with a slight pear sweetness.

Much like the Sunken City, I was a bit skeptical and even a little put off by the aroma at first but it ends up being a solid, well put together pale ale that does just enough to stand out from the crowd. The yuzu in particular really gives this beer a nice dimension in terms of flavor. It's by no means complex but if you like Pale Ales, I think you'll appreciate what this beer has to offer.

Insight Hell Chicken - 8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment