Monday, December 21, 2015

Bauhaus Brew Labs Tallander Review



Name: Bauhaus Brew Labs Tallander
Style: Scottish Ale
ABV: 6.0%
IBUs; 25

Today I've got a new beer from Bauhaus Brew Labs, a brewery which I haven't had any beers from (on this blog anyways) since last winter. My previous entry from Bauhaus was their Jingle Fever Baltic Porter (now known as Winterloper), which at the time, I thought was their be-all end-all winter seasonal.

Well, this year they've given us Tallander, their true winter seasonal which is described by the brewery as basically a cross between a Scottish Ale & a Wee Heavy. They've even made a commercial for it too, which you can watch here since Blogger hasn't made it available for embedding as of yet. If you watched the video, you probably figured out that the name itself draws from the film Highlander. I remember watching it when I was about 11 years old, and having a hard time following it. I guess the brewer must be a fan of the film.

Appearance - Clear dark brown/amber color with no visible carbonation. The head takes on a khaki color and is fairly foamy in terms of appearance. The lacing left behind is moderate and is somewhat sticky.

Aroma - Some fairly potent roastiness on the front of the nose with some Munich-like maltiness. Also getting some light peated scotch notes along with some chocolate maltiness.

Taste - Some moderate roastiness on the front of the palate, followed by some chocolate maltiness and light peated scotch notes. On the back end of the palate I'm getting some mild bitter hops along with more of that roasty flavor mixed in with some very light smokiness. It's also worth noting that it finishes rather dry.

I'm not normally into Scottish Ales but I like this. It's nice & balanced and I think the Scottish/Wee-Heavy hybrid works out rather well. On top of that, Tallander is also very reasonably priced so that makes it a lot easier for me to recommend as well. If you see this, I would certainly recommend checking this out.

Bauhaus Brew Labs Tallander - 8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment