Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Leinenkugel's Snowdrift Vanilla Porter Review



Name: Leinenkugel's Snowdrift Vanilla Porter
Style: Porter
ABV: 6%
IBUs: 16

As I type this, there are sounds of rolling thunder outside along with some heavy rain. Keep in mind that this is the middle of December in Minnesota & there is usually a foot of snow on the ground by this time. To which I say good riddance. After the winter we had two years ago, I'll be happy if it stays like this until next summer.

Winter seasonal beers, on the other hand, I am always looking forward to trying out. This brings us to Leinenkugel's Snowdrift Vanilla Porter. I remember having this about three years ago, maybe a few months before I launched this blog if my memory serves me correctly.

Appearance - Black with a dark red tinge around the edges of the glass on the bottom due to the light shining through. The head takes on a tan color and is fairly foamy in appearance but the lacing is very sparse.

Aroma - Chocolate malts & vanilla followed by some roasted barley and caramel sweetness with a light hint of coffee grounds.

Taste - Chocolate malts & roasted barley with some mild caramel and vanilla bean notes. The aftertaste is mainly light vanilla and light chocolate. I remember the vanilla being a little more pronounced for some reason,

I recall this having more vanilla flavor a couple years back, so I wonder if the recipe was tweaked at some point? Aside from that, it's a solid porter and I have no qualms about that. I say it's worth checking out at the very least if you haven't already done so.

Leinenkugel's Snowdrift Vanilla Porter - 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment