Tuesday, December 1, 2015

LTD Sleepwalker Review



Name: LTD Sleepwalker
Style: Imperial IPA
ABV: 11.5%
IBUs: 135

A new brewery has graced its presence here on my website. Today I have Living The Dream Brewing, or LTD Brewing for short. They're a fairly new brewery based out of Hopkins, Minnesota and I believe they just recently started bottling their beers, which leads us to today's beer (more on that in a minute). LTD is one of those breweries that I heard about back when I lived in Duluth but I believe it wasn't until recently that they started distributing their beers in the form of bomber bottles in stores.

Which brings us to Sleepwalker, which is described by the brewery as a Triple IPA. Given the name of the brewery, it's not too surprising that some of their beer names have to do with sleeping or being asleep or in some other state of (un)conciousness. The label artwork is pretty cool, it kind of looks like a 6-foot tall zombie Yoda....what you don't see it too?

Appearance - Dark mildly hazy amber color with a high amount of visible carbonation. The head is has a decent amount of width a quite foamy with some lacing that is on the mild side but has some sticky retention nevertheless.

Aroma - Very pungent & sweet Citra hop notes and a tiny bit of bitter hops. There is a very hefty caramel malt backbone though and some light grapefruit rind notes. I'm not getting any booziness yet in the nose yet though.

Taste - Big citrus & bitter hop notes on the front of the palate with a solid caramel malt backbone. Lots of bitter hoppiness towards the back end of the palate with some noticeable booziness and apple juice notes. Needless to say, the finish is quite bitter with just a mild amount of caramel maltiness.

I have mentioned a couple times before that I think Imperial IPAs that venture beyond the 10% ABV mark tend to be wobbly in terms of quality. Almost like the flip of a coin: They're either great or not great. This beer is the equivalent of a coin landing on it's side; It's got some really good things going for it, like being a big bold IPA that will certainly please those looking for a hop fix but the booziness is a bit too much for my liking.

In short, I like it but I don't love it. In this case, my advice would be try a bottle out for yourself and decide.

LTD Sleepwalker - 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment