Monday, December 7, 2015

Insight Sunken City Review




Name: Insight Sunken City
Style: Saison
ABV: 7.8%
IBUs: N/A

Since I will not be doing the remainder of my Sam Adams Winter Seasonal pack due to it's abundance of empty bottles, I figured why not do some local beers? Recently Insight Brewing started releasing their beers in tallboy cans after being on draft for what seemed like forever. I've been sitting on a couple cans for the past week so I figured I might as well crack 'em open.

The first one is their Sunken City, a Saison that is brewed with Sauvignon Blanc white grapes. I'll admit it's an original, if not, unusual twist to what is otherwise a fairly traditional style.

Appearance - Mildly hazy bright yellow color with a moderate amount of visible carbonation. The head is surprisingly fizzy with only a semi-filmy retention and there isn't anything in terms of lacing.

Aroma - Belgian yeasts and light cloves upfront, followed by some Sauv Blanc white grape notes and pale malts. I'm also getting a very light boozy scent in here as well, along with a light floral hoppiness.

Taste - Once again, the Belgian yeasts are front and center with some stronger-than-the-nose clove notes. The middle of the palate is where those white grape notes shine through without being too wine-y along with some pale maltiness, which shows up in the back. As for the aftertaste, I'm getting some bitter notes and light floral hops.

I have to say that this is really good. I was a little off put by the nose at first because it reminded me of a Sauvignon Blanc mixed with beer, but after drinking it, I have to say that using the Sauv Blanc grapes actually works in delivering an extra dimension to the flavor. If you see this, check it out!

Insight Sunken City - 8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment