Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Sam Adams Rebel IPA Review



Name: Sam Adams Rebel IPA
Style: India Pale Ale
ABV: 6.5%

A couple weeks back, I wrote an article about Sam Adams and the struggle to remain relevant in a market in which they helped create. In that article, I wrote about Sam Adams' Rebel IPA and how Sam Adams help can position itself in the craft beer market place with the help of Rebel. They also have a TV Spot for Rebel, now with more Dropkick Murphys!



Well I have their Rebel IPA for review today and it's also a beer I've had before on one of my many visits to Buffalo Wild Wings as it's often the best IPA that they have on tap there. Like many beers before it, I've never sat down to do a proper review so it will be my first time taking a closer look at this beer.

Rebel IPA pours a fairly clear orange color with moderate carbonation. The head takes on a thin foamy appearance and the lacing is pretty good.

The aroma has some strong piney hops and grape-fruitiness, followed by some mild citrus hops and a substantial caramel malt back bone. The piney hops in particular have this almost sticky quality to them, if that makes any sense.

The flavor starts out with some strong grapefruit & citrus hoppiness The second half of the flavor is where the piney hops make themselves known along with some noticeable caramel malts, before ending with a bitter hop aftertaste. On a side note, that citrus hoppiness in the front of the flavor lingers on throughout the whole drinking experience.

I have to hand it to Sam Adams, they really have made a good IPA that reminds one of a West-Coast style. Sure it's not the best of the best in terms of IPAs I've had but it's good enough to where I would have this over and over again.

Sam Adams Rebel IPA - 8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment