Saturday, October 3, 2015

Fulton HefeWheaties Review



Name: Fulton HefeWheaties
Style: Hefeweizen
ABV: 4.7%
IBUs: 21

Wheaties. The Breakfast of Champions. It is also one of the most well known cereals in the world, which just so happens to be manufactured by General Mills right here in Minnesota. So I give to you what is perhaps the most Minnesotan beer ever that doesn't use the usual staples of Minnesotan culture (Hotdish, Minnesota Nice, etc.). I give to you HefeWheaties from Fulton Brewing.

Contrary to what the name says, there were no actual Wheaties used in the brewing process but it's called such because one of the owners of Fulton was a former employee of General Mills. I'm going to assume that General Mills was cool enough to let Fulton use the Wheaties name for their beer.

Appearance - Very hazy wet straw color with some very mild visible carbonation. The head is quite foamy with some so-so retention, but the lacing is nice & abundant.

Aroma - Mostly light wheat notes with some pale maltiness. I'm also getting a fair amount of bitter hoppiness in here as well but nothing that I would consider to be overpowering & a good amount of cereal grains.

Taste - I'm getting some nice malted wheat notes upfront along with a slight hint of banana. I am picking up on some bitter hoppiness, especially on the back end of the palate. There's also a decent amount of pale malts in here too. The aftertaste has some bitter hoppiness with some pale malts.

I would honestly classify more as a Pale Wheat Ale more than a Hefeweizen just based on the flavor. However I would have no problem recommending this either way. Some people will be disappointed by the fact that it doesn't taste like Wheaties, to which I say, go eat a box of it if you want to actual thing

Fulton HefeWheaties - 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment