Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Revolution Coup D'etat Review



Name: Revolution Coup D'etat
Style: Saison
ABV: 7.6%
IBUs: 50

I've got a couple more beers from Revolution Brewing in my Chicago beer mail and the next one I'll be looking at is their Coup D'etat, which is their Saison. A name which makes sense when you consider that the name of the beer is a French term and that a Saison is traditionally a French style.

Appearance - Very hazy golden color but it has a very high amount of visible carbonation. The head is fairly foamy and about one finger in terms of width with an equally fair amount of lacing along the sides of the glass.

Aroma - Strong Belgian yeasts and cloves notes. I'm picking up on some grassiness in here as well along with some citrus & floral hops with some light toffee maltiness. It's almost like I cracked open a bottle of Saison Dupont and took a whiff of it.

Taste - Very similar to the nose. Belgian yeasts and spiciness up front, followed by some citrus and floral hoppiness though that grassiness that I saw in the nose is nowhere to be seen here. On the back end of the palate is where I'm starting to pick up on that toffee malt backbone. The aftertaste is mostly Belgian yeasts with a light touch of bitter hoppiness. There is a slight boozy taste in here but nothing that I would consider to be too big of a hinderance.

To this beer's credit, it does try to create more of a Euro-style Saison but it comes off as more Americanized.....and that's just fine with me. It's a good drinkable Saison though there is nothing I would consider to be ground breaking about it. If you live in Chicago and want a good Saison, this is it right here.

Revolution Coup D'etat - 8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment