Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Slapshot Mosaic Madness Review



Name: Slapshot Mosaic Madness
Style: India Pale Ale
ABV: 5.5%
IBUs: 48

I recently recieved a beer mail that contains mostly Chicago beers, which is where I used to live about 3 years ago. While I was there, I never really got to quite appreciate all the wonderful beer that was offered there so I'm making up for that in the form of this package, which I got courtesy of Stefan from Chicago; You rock, Stefan! With that said, I'll be busy with this for a while.

The first beer I will be looking at comes from Slapshot Brewing Company, a brewery which I never knew about until....well opening this package. I give to you Mosaic Madness, a session IPA brewed with Mosaic hops. Though I do find the term "session" a bit too underwhelming when you consider that the beer is 5.5% ABV.

Appearance - A hazy yellow color with a mild amount of visible carbonation. The head is nice and foamy though with some great retention with some equally abundant & sticky lacing.

Aroma - Rich citrus and mango fruitiness paired with some toffee maltiness and just a slight hint of bitter notes.

Taste -  Pretty similar to the nose. You got that nice citrus and mango fruitiness upfront with some toffee maltiness with some more citrus sweetness in the middle before ending with a yeasty and bitter finish. The aftertaste consists of light mango and bitter hoppiness.

For a session IPA, there is a ton going on here. It's got a simple yet vibrant flavor profile for a session IPA but it has plenty to offer to seasoned IPA fans at the same time. If you're ever in the Chicago area, this is one that is definitely worth seeking out.

Slapshot Mosaic Madness - 8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment