Monday, October 19, 2015

Pipeworks Ninja vs. Unicorn Review



Name: Pipeworks Ninja vs. Unicorn
Style: Imperial IPA
ABV: 8%
IBUs: N/A

Moving on to the next set of beers in the Chicago beer package (I received quite a few beers in it mind you), The next few beers will be offerings from Pipeworks Brewing, who I think would be a running contender for the best beer label artwork on the marketplace at the time of writing this. Since the photos I take simply do not do the artwork justice, I will be posting the artwork at the end of each review.

First up is the aptly named Ninja vs. Unicorn, which is an Imperial IPA. I did some research and found out the the Unicorn has done battle with both the Grim Reaper, Uncle Sam, Santa Claus & the Easter Bunny; I couldn't make this up even if I tried. Anyways, there isn't really much else to say aside from the label artwork, which I think is kickass.

Appearance - Mildly hazy yellow color with a mild amount of visible carbonation. The head is nice & foamy and there is some pretty good lacing to be had here.

Aroma - Pungent Grapefruit & Piney hops with just a hint of orange peel. I'm also picking up on some toffee sweetness and pale maltiness along with some moderate bready-biscuit yeastiness.

Taste - Fairly strong bitter & piney hops upfront but then towards the back it starts to turn sweet. It's there you start picking up on sweet grapefruit & orange notes that almost come off as Froot Loop-like. I'm getting some more of that toffee maltiness along with that bready-biscuit yeastiness in the back as well. The best way to describe the flavor is that it starts out very bitter but ends sweet.

Overall it's a very good Imperial IPA and for one being only 8% ABV, there is alot going on here in the flavor. Not only is the name & artwork awesome, but there is also an excellent beer lurking behind it. Chicago, you are very lucky to have a beer like this!

Pipeworks Ninja vs. Unicorn - 9.5/10


No comments:

Post a Comment