Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Pipeworks War Bird Review



Name: Pipeworks War Bird
Style: Belgian Pale Ale
ABV: 4.5%

Confession Time: Last Friday when I got home from a long day of work and dealing with other things, I decided to rent Mad Max: Fury Road for my viewing pleasure. During the course of the film, I mistakenly opened my bottle of Pipeworks' Scarlett Betta and drank it without taking any notes or even a photo. Upon making this realization, I kicked myself for this mistake and vowed to pay more attention (and just stick with Summit EPA during movie time.)

So because of this, we're on to the last Pipeworks beer in the Chicago beer mail; Hang in there as I have a few more to review. This is War Bird, Pipeworks' Session Pale Ale, with some awesome artwork to back it up. Not really much else to say about this, aside from let's see how this is.

Appearance - Extremely hazy yellow color with a very foamy white head that has some excellent retention. The lacing, however, is spotty at best.

Aroma - Sweet citrus hops with a light hint of bitterness. I'm also picking up of some light pale maltiness & cloves with a hint of yeast.

Taste - Moderate citrus and bitter hops upfront with some light pale maltiness and some yeasts that come off as cracker-like. The finish, of course, is fairly dry save for a bittersweet citrus hoppiness. The cloves, interestingly enough, are nowhere to be found here.

Session ales are not usually at the top of my list as far as go to styles save for when I'm out and about. With that said this one is pretty good, but it's definitely not the best session ale I've ever had. However if you need something to sip on while you're out with friends and will be driving home by yourself, this will do just nicely.

Pipeworks War Bird - 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment