Saturday, January 7, 2017

Alaskan Husky IPA Review



Name: Alaskan Husky IPA
Style: India Pale Ale
ABV: 7%
IBUs: 50

Well, I've got a new beer from Alaskan Brewing called Husky IPA. With some new beers from Alaskan, I normally make a note to myself to check it out in the future. This beer, however, was an exception for two reasons:

1. It was available for $7.49 for a six-pack
2. It's a Mosaic IPA

Now my regular readers know I love Mosaic IPAs but they've always been in the $10-11 range or priced higher than their other IPA counterparts. Never have I encountered a "budget priced" Mosaic IPA before and yet one just so happened to fall into my lap. Now with lower priced IPAs, I do notice that they tend to be more malty than hoppy so I'm hoping that isn't the case here.

Appearance - Hazy orange color with a mild amount of visible carbonation. The head is pretty foamy for what is and the lacing left behind is also quite abundant.

Aroma - Rich citra notes with some mild bitterness. I'm also getting some toffee and pale malts in here as well.

Taste - Much like the nose, you've got some reasonably robust citra notes upfront with some mild pine bitterness on the back end of the palate. The toffee and pale malt backbone lingers throughout the palate and provides that balance without being overbearing like I was expecting.

For the price I paid for it, I wasn't expecting too much. Color me surprised, but those Mosaic hops stand out quite well from the rest of the flavor. While it's not as robust as other Mosaic IPAs I've had, rest assured that you're getting more than your money's worth with this beer.

Alaskan Husky IPA - 8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment