Sunday, January 1, 2017

Funkwerks Tropic King Review



Name: Funkwerks Tropic King
Style: Imperial Saison
ABV: 8%
IBUs: N/A

Well. it's 2017 and while I meant to review this a few days ago, I got caught up with end of the year stuff & work. On top of that, I came down with a rather nasty case of the cold. The likes of which I haven't experienced in a long time. Thankfully my health has taken a turn for the better, so now it's time to get back to looking at some beers.

Today we've got another beer from Funkwerks and it just so happens to be another Saison! In this instance, it's an Imperial Saison made with Rakau hops, which is supposed to give this beer a tropical fruit like flavor.

Appearance - Hazy dark orange color with no visible carbonation, It possesses a reasonably foamy head and some good lacing to back it all up.

Aroma - Belgian yeasts & cloves, with some toffee & Munich malts. I'm also getting some strong mango and citra sweetness profile.

Taste - Belgian yeasts and cloves once again take center stage on the front of the palate but the mango and citrus notes which show up in middle and back of the palate help balance things throughout the palate, in addition to the toffee malts which gives the overall beer some nice support.

What can I say? It's a great spin on Saison-style, it possesses a great & robust flavor profile for what it is and it does so quite well. In fact, I'd even go as far to say that this is one of the best Saisons I've had in a long time. If you so happen to come across, you owe it to yourself to try this out.

Funkwerks Tropic King - 9.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment