Monday, January 23, 2017

Terrapin Hopsecutioner Review



Name: Terrapin Hopsecutioner
Style: India Pale Ale
ABV: 7.3%
IBUs: 71

Next up in my Georgia beer mail package is a slew of beers from Terrapin Beer Co., a brewery which I have some degree of familiarity with as venue which the wedding reception was held at had a bar; Though the wedding was a dry one so I had to sneak out to try them. Plus it's hard to forget a brewery whose mascot is a turtle.

First up is Hopsecutioner, which is their flagship IPA, which is made with Warrior, Chinook, Centennial, Simcoe, Amarillo & Cascade hops. Also every bar or restaurant we went to in North Georgia had this on tap and I was fortunate enough to try it out, so I'm looking forward to having this again.

Appearance - Mildly hazy orange color with a mild amount of visible carbonation. The head is about 2 fingers in width and the lacing itself is pretty sticky.

Aroma - Strong piney hops with some moderate citrus and floral hops. I'm also getting a fairly hefty caramel & toffee malt backbone along with some light yeasty notes.

Taste - Pretty similar to the nose. You've got that strong piney hop flavor which is balanced out by that moderate citrus and floral hoppiness. Backing it all up is that nice & hefty caramel and toffee malt backbone. The aftertaste is made up of light caramel sweetness and a touch of resin.

I have to say I'm quite pleased with this and I really like the hop profile in this, yet it's malty enough that it doesn't go overboard with the hops. If I ever find myself in Georgia again, I'll definitely be sure to bring this home with me!

Terrapin Hopsecutioner - 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment