Monday, February 9, 2015

Blue Moon Cinnamon Horchata Ale Review

**No Picture, Sorry!!**

Name: Blue Moon Cinnamon Horchata Ale
Style: Spiced Beer
ABV: 5.5%

Next up on my Blue Moon Winter Seasonal Pack is their Cinnamon Horchata. A horchata is a beverage that originates from Mexico and Central America that is made with milk, cinnamon, almonds and occasionally rice.

Now I've had horchata before and it is really tasty and I have to admit I'm a bit excited to actually review a horchata-based beer. However the previous beer I had in the sampler pack was a bit lacking so lets see how this is.

The beer pours a hazy orange color with some mild carbonation. The head takes on a thin white appearance and there's no lacing to speak of.

The nose is a mix of cinnamon, eggnog, some lactose, and a bit of pale maltiness. I'm also getting some light malted barley notes in here as well.

The first half of the flavor reminds me of a cinnamon roll. You've got your cinnamon spiciness, a bit of yeastiness, and some pale malts. The second half of the flavor still has a lingering cinnamon sweetness but it's paired with some malted barley. Other than that, the aftertaste is fairly dry with only a light cinnamon spiciness.

While it didn't quite hit the expectations I had for, it still manages to please and proves that a horchata based beer can work under the right circumstances. Your best bet would be to have a bottle and decide for yourself.

Blue Moon Cinnamon Horchata Ale - 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment