Thursday, February 5, 2015

Leinenkugel's Big Butt Doppelbock Review



Name: Leinenkugel's Big Butt Doppelbock
Style: Doppelbock
ABV: 5.8%

So apparently I had no idea Leinenkugel's made a beer with this amusing of a name. I give to you Big Butt Doppelbock, which I'll admit is fun to say. Doppelbocks are usually in the 7-10% range in terms of ABV but this one only clocks in at 5.8% so I'd be more tempted to call this a Bock beer. Also contrary to what some of you may be thinking (you know what I'm talking about....), this beer is reference to the two goats butting heads in the background since Bock is German for goat. Speaking of which....

Before I start this review, I'm going to pose a question to my readers: Why on earth is there NO Sir Mix-a-Lot references in the label description? All it talks about is the five different types of malted barley and it doesn't do so much as make a lyrical reference to Mix-a-Lot's classic. I'm kind of disappointed here.

Big Butt Doppelbock pours a dark but clear brown color with a relatively foamy khaki colored head. Not really getting anything in terms of lacing or carbonation.

The aroma is a mix of strong caramelized malts and roasted barley. I'm picking up on some chocolate notes and some very light adjunct grains.

Flavor-wise it starts out with some roastiness, caramel malts and even a hint of chocolate. This does, however, give way relatively quickly to moderate adjunct grains, some mild lingering hop bitterness and a touch of roastiness on the back end of the palate. The aftertaste is on the drier side with some adjunct grains and light caramel maltiness.

I should clarify one point: Just because a beer uses adjuncts in the brewing process does not mean I am ready to write it off and that is the case with this beer. In fact, I'd say my biggest gripe with this beer is that they're calling it a Doppelbock whereas I'd classify this more as a Bock based on the overall flavor. All and all, Big Butt Doppelbock is by no means the best (Doppel)Bock beer out there but I would gladly accept this again should someone offer this to me.

Leinenkugel's Big Butt Doppelbock - 7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment