Monday, February 9, 2015

Founders Imperial Stout Review



Name: Founders Imperial Stout
Style: Imperial Stout
ABV: 10.5%

Originally I was going to continue with reviewing my sampler pack from Blue Moon but the realization dawned upon me that all of those beers tasted remarkably similar to one another and I felt that each review was going to be similar.

So I'm back to craft beer and I'll mark this occasion with Founders Imperial Stout. To my knowledge, this is a winter release, and it also has the courtesy to let us know it's a Russian Imperial Stout by adorning the label with the Russian Double-Headed Eagle.

The beer pours a pitch black color with no visible carbonation. The head takes on a dark brown color look and the lacing is quite good.

The aroma has a some chocolate maltiness and strong vanilla sweetness. There is also a strong cherry fruitness in here with some light citrus hoppiness. For an Imperial Stout, it's really fruity smelling.

The flavor has some strong bitter hoppiness upfront with some equally strong roasted barley and chocolate malts notes. The cherry sweetness is a bit more subdued here along with the vanilla notes. As for the aftertaste, it's quite bitter and roasty and it lingers for a long time.

This Imperial Stout is a lot more bitter than the nose leads one to believe; It is 90 IBUs after all. However it's still a pretty good Imperial Stout. On top of that, the price is pretty good for what I paid for it so check this out if you're able to.

Founders Imperial Stout - 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment