Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Boulder Beer Killer Penguin Review



Name: Boulder Beer Killer Penguin
Style: Barleywine
ABV: 10%
IBUs: 60

The last time I reviewed anything from Boulder Beer, this blog....no...that can't be right! According to what I see, this blog was only 3 days old when I last reviewed anything from Boulder Beer and that was almost two years ago; Where does the time go?

In any case, I have their Killer Penguin Barleywine. To my knowledge, this is a winter seasonal and the name comes from the high ABV and having twice the maltiness as other "winter beers." I guess Killer Emu was already taken (I cannot confirm or deny this...)

Appearance - Clear Crimson color with some very light visible carbonation. The head takes on a light khaki color and is fairly foamy in appearance.

Aroma - Strong caramel maltiness backed up by some potent grapefruit and piney hops, along with light roasted barley, rye and toffee sweetness.

Taste - Moderate caramel maltiness and moderately potent grapefruit hoppiness upfront, followed by some citra hops and a light caramel maltiness on the end with a slight bitterness.

Killer Penguin is a good barleywine, but the flavor as a whole comes off a bit underwhelming when compared to other beers of the same style; Even with "Twice the malts." Sure, it's not bad but I don't see myself going out of my way to try it again.

Boulder Beer Killer Penguin - 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment