Monday, February 2, 2015

Toppling Goliath Golden Nugget IPA Review



Name: Toppling Goliath Golden Nugget IPA
Style: India Pale Ale
ABV: 6%

I've got a beer from a brewery that I have always wanted to try out since I've gotten into craft beer. Recently a brewery by the name of Toppling Goliath became available in my area and so far, there are two beers to choose from. The first being Light Speed Pale Ale, which was out when I checked the store. The other being their Golden Nugget IPA, which is the beer I will be reviewing.

More of their well known beers, like PseudoSue & Assassin Imperial Stout, are not yet available but I have a feeling that will change in the very near future. For the time being, I'll stick with what I have.

Golden Nugget pours a mildly hazy light orange color with some very light carbonation. The head takes on a fairly thin foamy white appearance with some good, sticky lacing.

In the aroma, I'm picking up on some rich mango & tangerine sweetness backed up by some mild grapefruitiness. I'm also getting some mild toffee maltiness and just a hint of yeast.

Flavor-wise, I'm getting some strong grapefruit and bitter hop notes up front. In the middle is where the citrus hops and toffee malts shine through. As for the aftertaste, the toffee maltiness does linger on but the bitter hops make a reappearance along with some surprisingly strong piney hops.

The flavor is a lot more complex than what the nose leads you to believe. It's a nicely layered and flavorful IPA that is sure to please. On top of that, it is very reasonably priced beer for what I paid for it. I'll for sure will be checking more offerings from Toppling Goliath in the near future!

Toppling Goliath Golden Nugget IPA - 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment